Draw a great looking Mario Mushroom with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
In the Super Mario video games, mushrooms are used to heal the character’s heart points or give him special abilities. The mushroom is “one of the most iconic items in video game history.” You can learn how to draw a Mario mushroom with this super-easy cartoon drawing guide.
What are some of these abilities? The most common allows Mario to become Super Mario. In this form, he is larger, can break through bricks, and can withstand additional hits from his enemies.
Other mushrooms allow Mario to float or fly, jump higher, move faster, or gain an extra life.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Look out for the Poison Mushroom, however! Its effects hurt the player, taking away abilities or even costing him a life.
The appearance of the Mario mushroom is based on a real mushroom called a toadstool, specifically the variety known as fly agaric. It too has a red cap with white spots. Toadstools are poisonous and cannot be eaten.
The idea for the magic or super mushrooms may have come from the classic story Alice in Wonderland. The title character eats a cake that changes her size.
You need those mushroom power-ups to save Princess Peach from the villainous Bowser! Grab your pencil, because it’s time to go on an adventure in the Mushroom Kingdom!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Kai from Ninjago, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Princess Zelda.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Mario Mushroom
1. Begin by drawing a curved line like a letter “C” that has fallen over. This forms the stem of the mushroom – which, in the case of the Mario mushroom, also contains its face.
2. Draw a second curved line to connect the ends of the first, enclosing the stem.
3. Draw a narrow oval within the stem, with another smaller oval inside it. Shade between the two. This forms the mushroom’s eye.
4. Draw the second eye. Again, enclose a narrow oval with a smaller oval inside it. Shade between the two.
5. From one side of the stem, extend a long curved line. This begins the outline of the mushroom cap.
6. Continue the line until it connects to the opposite side of the stem, completely enclosing the mushroom cap.
7. Draw a large circle in the middle of the mushroom cap. This is the first of its characteristic spots.
8. Draw a line across the side of the mushroom cap, connected to the outline on both ends. This encloses another spot.
9. Draw a line across the opposite side of the mushroom cap, connected to the outline on both ends. This encloses the final spot.
Color your cartoon Mario mushroom. Super Mushrooms are usually red with white spots and a tan stem. There are many other types that come in different colors. These include:
- The 1-Up Mushroom, green with white spots.
- The Mega Mushroom, yellow with red spots.
- The Mini Mushroom, blue with white spots.
- The Bee Mushroom, yellow with brown stripes.
- The Boo Mushroom, solid white.
- The Spring Mushroom, metallic silver.
- The Propeller Mushroom, orange with yellow spots.
- The Poison Mushroom, purple with pink spots.
- And the Rock Mushroom, tan with a black cap.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you’re logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you’re still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).